Every rocket needs fins!
I designed the fins in Rocksim to be angular and mean looking. They go well with the stark nature of the crayon nose.
The fins for Color The Sky are made from 1/4″ Baltic Birch Aircraft Plywood purchased from Aircraft Spruce. It has 12 plies. This stuff is insanely tough and very smooth.
We started with the template and printed it out. I traced the rough outline onto the plywood and marked where we would need to cut.
After cutting the fins on the tablesaw, we taped lined them up on the root edge and taped them together.
A pass on the belt sander cleans up the edges and makes them all the same.
Next step: beveling the fins.
Recently I got this crazy dream in my head. HOW COOL would it be to stuff the biggest motor possible in a Crayon?! The crayon banks are just a little too small to fit a 98mm motor case sadly. We’ll have to settle for 75mm. (or maybe a custom size EX motor? hmm…)
First off – the plan:
3″ Blue tube runs throughout the entire rocket. It’s essentially a 3″ MD rocket with a crayon bolted to the outside. There are wooden runners bonded to the blue tube that add strength and serve as “centering” strakes. They will be sanded to the shape of the ID of the crayon.
The fincan is reinforced as if the rocket is minimum diameter. this includes large fillets and tip-to-tip. The bottom crayon is then slid over the tube from the front.
Aesthetics: You can make this crayon any colour you like. The first rendition will be pink because real men fly pink rockets! I will be doing 1 or 2 layers of 5.7oz 2/2 till CF over the fins for strength, and aesthetics. Carbon just looks really cool juxtapositioned with the cardboard crayon bank.
That’s all for now. Stay tuned!
Before heading out to XPRS this weekend, I took a few photos.
At just 59.6″ long and 4.26lbs without motor, the 75mm minimum diameter carbon-fiber “Colossus” should hit 40,000 feet and twice the speed of sound at XPRS on an Aerotech M685W.